Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Dishwasher

Confession: I put no thought at all into how I put items into our dishwasher. I know what you're thinking - typical male. I know I'm supposed to give this some attention, and it really does make a difference what's on the top and bottom shelves, but to be brutally honest about it, it doesn't matter at all.

It doesn't matter because I live with the dishwasher police. Just joking! <jk>  ;)
Except I'm not. My wife can be on the other side of the house, on a different floor, using the vacuum cleaner, and by the time I have the dishwasher open, she's standing behind me, watching where I'm going to place whatever dish I have in my hand. It's like when you're speeding on a wide open, straight road, with nowhere a cop could be hiding, and suddenly, there's flashing red and blue lights in your rear view mirror. To her credit, she never arrests corrects me, she now simply lets me put the dish wherever my poor, simple, male mind thinks it should go, waits until I leave, opens the dishwasher, and moves it to where it's "supposed" to go. Of course, I hear the dishwasher open, the clinking of the plates; I can even hear what she's thinking as she puts the dishes in "the right places". By the way, these places seems to change according to...well, something, I'm sure, so it's not like I can actually "learn" where it goes. It's kind of like decorating a Christmas tree, when you think the ornament looks great where you placed it - as a matter of fact, it's been in that same spot the last three Christmases - but no, not this year. Now it doesn't go there anymore; I must be an idiot.

I used to try to argue my position, much as I'd imagine an attorney would, if said attorney was embroiled in a heated legal dispute concerning the placement of dishes in the dishwasher. Considering some of the insanity I've seen in the courts lately, this is not impossible.
Me: "Aha! So you admit, that on the previously aforementioned evening in the summer of 2012, you did, indeed, with malice of forethought, actually place the bundt cake tin in the UPPER shelf, which resulted in not only the dishwasher NOT being damaged, nor any damage being incurred  by the bundt tin's associates, namely, the spatula and microwave-safe icing tool, but also the bundt tin surviving completely clean?!?!?"
Wife: "You're insane."
Me: "Answer the question, damnit!!"
Surprisingly, this did not go over well. Even though I was totally right about the bundt tin.

I'm not criticizing my wife by the way - I exhibit the same behavior myself, so that would be hypocritical. For example, we have, as I'm sure many of you have as well, a steak knife block. Since we're both right-handed, I believe the serrated blade should face to the right, so that it is not in the direction of our bodies when we remove the knife from the block. This seems logical and safe to me, but my wife, even though made aware of this, often puts them in the "wrong" way. At some point, I will mimic her dishwasher behavior, and surreptitiously turn the knives the "right" way, normally when she's not around. She's probably, at least up to this point, unaware I do this. I say "up to this point" because I am well aware that she reads my blog. So I guess I AM an idiot, after all.

But this is what married people do. She's not wrong or right, and neither am I - we just look at things differently. Then we correct each other/for each other. Without becoming angry over it. This is also a measure of the health of your relationship - if you're both doing this, and are aware the other is, and it remains a "small" thing - you have a strong, loving relationship. No one ever gets divorced over improper dishwasher loading; that's just the excuse because the larger issues remain unvoiced. Those little differences? They really don't matter at all. Except for the steak knife thing. I'm also totally right about that. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment