Sunday, January 26, 2014

Big Lot Stores

I like big lot stores. Mostly I like the ability to get my shopping done while having new tires put on my car, getting my oil changed and a lube job, getting new eyeglasses, and coming soon, having a colonoscopy performed. Hopefully they use a different lube than the automotive service area. I'm also a fan of being able to buy an entire year's supply of toilet tissue in a single visit.

Of course, there's some things I don't like about big lot stores. And by "some things', I mean: people.

I know we're all raised differently; but I'd like to think there are basic tenets of parenting that are universal: be considerate of others, be kind, it's not all about you, etc. That's the way I was raised. I don't recall my parents following that with, "Unless, of course, you're in a big lot store - then you can be a totally rude moron." Obviously, big lot stores did not exist for my parents; I remember mom driving to 3 or 4 different grocery stores. Not because she couldn't purchase everything in one store; she did so because the milk in the other store was $0.01 cheaper than the other store. None us had the heart to tell her that because our family's vehicle got the same gas mileage as a Sherman tank (probably because it weighed as much), that she ate up that savings just by starting the car.

One might assume that, given that one had to park far enough from the entrance that one is in an entirely
different zip code, that the store may be a wee bit crowded. Surely upon entering said store, one must realize that, apparently, the entire population of Asia has decided to go shopping at the exact same time as one has. And by now, I hope that you are as tired of reading "one" and I am of typing it.

One of my favorites are the people who go around lunch or dinner time, often both, on both days of the weekend, with the goal of feeding their entire extended family from the sampler trays; blocking aisles is, naturally, optional, but rarely passed on. Giving YOU a dirty look because you had the temerity to ask them to move their cart so you can proceed down the aisle, appears, however, mandatory. These attempts to provide daily nourishment for your family is exactly why stores like BJ's and Costco close on Thanksgiving; they're not stupid.

You may run into them later (quite possibly days later), at the checkout lines, where they realize that they are in a cash-only aisle, and convince one of the managers to make a special case for them since they've already scanned their 2,000+ items. Or the math-challenged shoppers who are ahead of you at the express lane, which CLEARLY says "8 items or less"with their 32 items, and then appear confused as to what that means: "Oh, I thought multiples of 8 were also okay".

It's not all bad, though. Even if I don't need to pick up any on that particular visit, I will cruise the feminine hygiene products aisle, simply to amuse myself by watching the dazed husbands trying to locate the exact product for their womenfolk from a selection that spans an entire aisle, from the floor to the 30-foot ceiling. I believe there may actually be less species of insects on the planet than there are choices from this aisle. I try, from their appearance, to determine what phase they are in. Usually it begins with shock - a widening of the eyes, a slowly turning head as they take in the enormity of the task of selection ahead of them, knowing they will ultimately fail to purchase the correct one, resulting in their being sent back into this horror show, in a big lot store version of Groundhog Day. Some are in frustration phase, muttering curses under their breath, punctuated by words such as, "super", "maxi", "flexi-wings", "odor control". Then there's the defeated stage, where they have utterly given up - they look as if they have aged 5 years in the half-hour they just spent, and are now, finally, degraded to asking a passing female for help (because the odds of finding an employee to help you are equal to you finding your desired product). And none of them, ever, will make eye contact with another male in that aisle. Ever. I do feel bad for them, and sometimes, but not always, will tell them my trick: take a pic on your cell phone and just match the packaging. This works like a charm, until, of course, they change the packaging, and then I am also shuffling about muttering words like, "super-absorbent", while drooling and trying to force my eyes to focus..

You'll have to excuse me now, since I have things to do, people to see. Colonscopy/lube jobs to schedule. Lubricants to choose. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment