Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Yoga - The Final Frontier

So, we're doing yoga. I've done it before, when I was much younger, and really enjoyed it. But now I'm 55 and have the flexibility of your average house cat. If your house cat was dead. In rigor mortis. And frozen. You get the idea. I also had far fewer major injuries back then, although, to be honest, I'd have to go to my pre-5 year-old days to have NO major injuries. Such is life. So what does a 55 year-old with reconstructions of both shoulders, both knees, multiple dislocations and a giant chuck of titanium in one leg where the bone used to be practice? Why, something that requires you to put your limbs and joints into positions not normally found outside of Guantanamo Bay "enhanced interrogation" rooms. Perfect.

Our teacher, an incredibly lithe young woman (who apparently has been born without bones,
ligaments, tendons - basically anything that would prevent a human person from tying themselves into a knot), starts our session, which is in a dimly lit room that contains a full-wall mirror, which thankfully, I cannot see myself in due to the dimness of the lighting coupled with my poor vision. I shall soon learn to view my inability to see myself as a small gift and can only wish the same for my fellow practitioners.

"Lay down in 'Shinvinyatoyotamazdadu' position" (which apparently means lay on your back with your eyes closed), "and breathe deeply." This I can do, except I call it 'sleeping', and I'm not usually on a thin mat on a wooden floor surrounded by so many people, but, whatever. I begin to think, 'okay, this isn't too bad at all'... and then the class actually starts. "Now I want you to bring your right knee up to your chest and slip the strap around the arch of your right foot." I have a sudden memory of a cheap hotel room and a snickering locksmith removing handcuffs, but I shrug that off and center myself. "Now straighten your right leg and pull on the straps, bringing your foot towards your head while keeping your leg straight, spread your toes and point with the ball of your foot - you should feel a slight pull in the back of your thigh." And by "slight pull" she apparently means someone pouring lighter fluid on your hamstring and setting it afire. "Now, allow your foot to slowly drop to the right side and then begin to pull it as high up as you can towards your head." I'm seeing a pattern here - why does she want my foot near my head - I certainly don't want my foot anywhere NEAR my nose! "Just remember, the goal is to eventually be able to do this move while standing." Riiiight. The involuntary guffaw escapes me before I can restrain it, but I cover it by ending it in "ooohhhmmmmmm". Really? I'm supposed to do this while standing; I'm still mastering drinking while standing. But, I'm a positive guy, so I'm sure, that with many years of practice, I may be able to do this. Once. Let's save time and have the ambulance squad already there when I attempt it, shall we? Better yet, maybe I should just attempt this right in the hospital ER and cut out the middlemen.

Later on, we get to a more complicated move, possibly named 'Vishrasuburulinguinewasha', but at this point I've experienced so many head-rushes that my instructor looks like a 6-armed emu/elephant, so I'm pretty sure I misunderstood what it's called and in fact thought she sneezed. Anyway, this pose consists of performing a number of things simultaneously, yoga multi-tasking, if you will, which explains why I'm the only male in the class. Although I AM pulling off the yoga pants really well, or at least MUCH better than some who don't understand that even lycra has a stretching limit. Back to the pose: I'm supposed to adopt a wide, straight-leg stance, with my left foot pointed forward and my right foot pointed outward, making sure the heel and ball of my right foot are aligned with the arch in my left foot, keeping my spine straight by extending my tailbone towards the floor (whatever the hell THAT means), and keeping my torso "squared". I believe the police should adopt this part for their roadside sobriety tests - they could fund their entire annual budget within a month. "While taking a deep inhalation, pull your lower abdomen in towards your spine, grip the floor with your toes while simultaneously pulling inner left foot and right heel towards one another to "root" yourself to the mat." Sounds complicated, but, triumphantly, I do it, and my brief moment of joyous accomplishment is shattered upon learning that we have not yet even done "the move"; we have merely gotten into the starting position. Clearly this deception is why firearms are banned from yoga studios. This is called "warrior pose", which I mentally decide should be called "dead warrior pose", since it is painfully apparent that I am completely open to attack from many, many angles. But I digress.

From our starting position, we are now told to "bend your right knee to a 90 degree angle while inhaling" - wait, when was I supposed to have exhaled? - "and reach with your left hand and grasp your shin, your ankle, or your foot. Now rotate your left hand towards the ceiling while turning your torso and look up to the ceiling, pulling in your abdomen to your spine" - this is called 'charging the core' which I have also mentally renamed 'trying not to fart', since that burrito I ate before class clearly has plans on revealing itself, and soon, probably violently - "and hold that position for 5 breaths." I'm also pretty sure that at some point in the class I was supposed to exhale earlier, but I think I passed out before breath #2. At least that's what the EMT's told me, while fanning away the ghost of my burrito.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment