Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cancer's a "Curve Ball" - Really?

This one won't be humorous; this post is a needed venting.

It's okay if I decide to make light of my cancer and joke about it; it's okay if my close friends and family do as well (double standards are one of my top pet peeves, so if I'm going to dish it out, I have to take it, too.) It's even better when people tell me I'll be fine, I'll beat it, or some variation of that, because it's obvious it's meant to be positive, uplifting and to wish me well.

What's not okay is when someone callously dismisses your cancer as a "curve ball in your life", acting as if it's no big deal. That is taking insensitivity to a whole new level, in my opinion. There wasn't a hint of compassion or concern, it was meant as dismissively as it sounds. The utter lack of empathy shouldn't come as a surprise to me, since it has always been totally lacking in this person, yet I still stared at the written words (yes, she actually put that in writing), shocked by their coldness.

I'm not sure, knowing that, why I expect better from this person, but there you have it; when you're optimistic, you get disappointed. It comes with the territory. Sorry, but I just needed to get that out. I promise I'll be back to sarcastic and snarky in my next post. Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment