Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Ninja Cancer post #2

MSKCC (Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center) visit was interesting; the surgeon upped my Gleason score from 7 to 7.5 (who knew they used fractions?) and recommended a Radical Retropubic Prostatectomy, which is a minimally invasive robotic surgery that will remove my ninja cancer-ridden prostate as well as the surrounding lymph nodes. Still getting my head around the removal of an organ being considered "minimally invasive"...

Even though the bone and CAT scans were negative for the ninjas metastasizing, they are recommending a pelvic MRI to both verify those results and aid in the surgery. Which brings up an interesting question: can I have an MRI without the implant in my right leg (and rod in one of the fingers on my right hand) being forcibly removed by the magnetic pulses? Because I'm guessing that would probably sting.

I showed them this picture on my phone, and suddenly everyone there forgot about my cancer and wanted to take a look at it. I guess when your day has you looking at nothing but prostates, genitalia and anuses, an implant that looks like it's from the front end of a '58 Chevy becomes something of a novelty. And yes, I said anuses, because even though they are urologists, apparently a DRE (that's Digital Rectal Exam) MUST be performed on each visit, and yes, it IS as pleasant as it sounds. I can hardly wait for the next one, but they could at least buy me dinner first.

The good news is both implants are what are considered "MRI-compatible", so there's no threat of them flying out of my body. I'm scheduled for the surgery the first week of October, so it's a waiting game for now. Time to get into surgery shape and prepare for ninja removal. Peace.

2 comments:

  1. I would say I'm behind you, but I know you don't want anybody standing behind you right now so I will stand beside you.
    With all my love, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy
    Take one day at a time while walking toward the cure/remission. Some days will be better than others? Soon you will have more better days. I wish you well and hope you will continue to be a( ninja) warrior. Best of health to you . Slay that dragon(cancer)!!!!!
    Best colleen p (wyckoff)cb

    ReplyDelete